Judith & Frank Sabatini to be recognized with Liz Stratton Arts Patron Award. ARTSConnect is preparing for a big night celebrating the arts on October 29th in Topeka. That evening, the arts community will come together for the 2016 Arty Awards where the best and the brightest of the arts in Topeka will be recognized with awards for their contributions. Nominations are being solicited from the public through September 12th for the following awards:
- Community Art Award: This award goes to an effort within the city that raises the standard of arts in our community. A neighborhood, a parish, a school or other community effort within our city all would qualify.
- Performing Art Award: This award goes to a performing artist, company or group that has exhibited a commitment to increasing the quality of performance, audience engagement and makes Topeka a more entertaining place to live, work and play.
- Glenda Taylor Visual Art Award: This award goes to an individual artist or group of artists who have exhibited a commitment to our community through their creation of visual artwork.
- Literary Art Award: This award goes to a writer or group of writers who have a Topeka connection or who write about the city.
- People’s Choice: Favorite First Friday Artwalk Location: Ballots are being collected across the city through September 2. Ballots will be tallied and the winner will be announced at the 4th Annual Arty Awards
Additionally, ARTSConnect is pleased to announce that the 2016 Liz Stratton Arts Patron Award will be given to Judith & Frank Sabatini in recognition for their significant contributions of beautiful art, wisdom and funding which has made the arts stronger and more accessible to every single person in Topeka.
“It is one of the highlights of the year to be able to review brilliant accolades for so many exceptional organizations and individuals in our community. Although part of the fun is in seeing who 'wins' each award on the 29th, it is clear that we are rich with talent here in Topeka, Kansas, and it is such an honor to be able to recognize these nominees for their accomplishments," said Sarah Fizell, executive director of ARTSConnect.
Tickets to the event are $55 and attendees can expect complimentary beverages, dessert, seating for the award presentation. Following the awards, DJ Johnny Quest will be on the turntables and so dancing shoes are encouraged. Attendees are encouraged to participate in the “black and white” costume contest and wrap up their evening by attending the midnight showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Jayhawk Theatre.
Tickets can be purchased at: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2581094
Nominations for 2016 Arty Awards are being accepted until September 12th and the form can be found at: http://artsconnecttopeka.org/2016-arty-nomination-form